Friday, September 11, 2009

Thinking of naming him "Stew"


I am thinking of naming him "Stew"... the new comer to my aquarium after the little brat "Stewie Griffin" form Family guy ... coz he is notorious in similar ways.. he chases all the tiny Guppies and drives them into exile ..well who am I talking about - He is a RES - Red Ear Slider a native of the Americas. he is still a tiny little guy ( baby RES) about 2 inches but he can grow up to lengths of 12 inches. Spends most of his time in water but shows himself up on dry surface that I have setup for him so that he could get his share of the sun for the day. Yes the turtle can outlive u and me !! and I read that they become very friendly as they grow up and can be tamed to obey your calls , I want him to grow up asap so that he could feed on chapatis and veggies rather than the expensive fish flakes that I am feeding him now. All in all I hope he is here to stay for long , when people asked me why not a dog ? I told them I wanted a silent pet who doesn't bark at strangers :)


Oh and my 4 year old nephew is not happy with the name "stew".. he wants to name him "Bala", I think a trip to the candy stop should settle this dispute between us :)


If you get excited after reading this and want a pet "Stew" of you own then make sure you go through these articles below to set up a suitable environment and most importantly be prepared to have a long term speechless companion.. :) and don't worry about the PFA guys (people for animals) raiding your house as it is perfectly legal to pet an RES according to Indian laws.


Do suggest some suitable names guys.. and please put your comments below in the comment box instead of sending me mails ... thanks one and all.


Good day



http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com/turtleworld_RES.html


http://happyturtle.ms11.net/facts.html


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eared_slider



2 comments:

  1. Marvelous! Firstly, the way you expressed your thoughts about him and your journey so far with him. As far as the name is concerned I'd say go with Stewie because as you've mentioned above he resembles the notorious neighborhood kid in vibrant ways. Hope his mission wouldn't be 'World domination' like Stewei :D. And I don't think Stewies need to be(rather, can be) tamed, it's a worthless effort to do so as it's an instinct for them to be spoiled brats (since birth):P. Anyways, try your luck. Be a good Peter Griffin. heh heh heh (the Peter laugh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, guess who's comments would this be? May be your Stewie can help ;)

    ReplyDelete